The State FFA Livestock Evaluation CDE is designed as a practical method to increase knowledge in the selection of livestock. It also measures the students’ ability to orally defend and discuss their decisions.
The state winning team in this activity will be eligible to represent the state in the National FFA CDE held at the time of the National FFA Convention.
The objective of the National FFA Livestock Evaluation Career Development Event is to:
- Understand and to interpret the value of performance data based on industry standards.
- Measure students' knowledge in the following categories:
- to make accurate observations of livestock.
- to determine the desirable traits in animals.
- to make logical decisions based on these observations.
- to discuss and to defend their decisions for their placing.
- to instill an appreciation for desirable selection, management and marketing techniques.
- Develop the ability to select and market livestock that will satisfy consumer demands and provide increased economic returns to producers as well as meet the needs of the industry.
- Become proficient in communicating the terminology of the industry and the consumer.
- Provide an opportunity for participants to associate with professionals in the industry.
- Utilize current technology as it relates to the livestock industry.